Tony Award–winning South Coast Repertory is Orange County’s premier resident theatre. Each season, SCR produces a wide range of classics, groundbreaking plays and modern masterpieces, as well as a 3-play Theatre for Young Audiences series. The Student Matinee Program is a valuable resource for area educators, because it makes professional productions available to students who may otherwise not have the opportunity to experience live theatre.
The SCR Student Matinee Program includes:
- Affordable student ticket pricing.
- One complimentary ticket provided for every 15 student tickets purchased—maximum two complimentary tickets per group.
- Study guides created by our artistic staff, with the guidance of an educator committee, to prepare teachers and their students for their theatre visit and suggest materials to keep the theatre conversation going with students after the performance.
Theatre for Young Audiences
Student group tickets: $7 for school-time TYA matinees; $22–$39 for all other performances.
Recommendation: Grades K–6. No children under age 4.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
based on the book by Judith Viorst
book and lyrics by Judith Viorst
music by Shelly Markham
School-time matinees: Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2019, at 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
book, music and lyrics by Min Kahng
based on the novel by Grace Lin
School-time matinees: Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020, at 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
- Dory Fantasmagory
a play by John Glore
adapted from the book by Abby Hanlon
School-time matinees: Wednesday, June 3, 2020, at 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.
For the Winter Holidays
Student group tickets: $25 for school-time matinee; $27–$81 for all regular performances
Recommendation: Grades 2 and up. No children under age 6.
- A Christmas Carol
by Charles Dickens
adapted by Jerry Patch
School-time matinee: Dec. 4, 2019, at 11:30 a.m.
Other Education Initiatives Include:
For tickets or more information call (714) 708-5555
Photo: Paul Culos, Nicole Cowans, Joseph Abrego, Amielynn Abellera, Carina Morales and Nicole Erb in SCR's 2019 Theatre for Young Audiences production of The Velveteen Rabbit. Photo by Debora Robinson.