Added Performance: The Tempest at South Coast Repertory
Matinee Show, Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2:30 p.m.
COSTA MESA, Calif. (Sept. 15, 2014) —There’s an additional chance to catch the show that audiences are raving about: South Coast Repertory has added a weekday matinee performance of Aaron Posner and Teller’s adaptation of Shakespeare’s The Tempest on Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are available at www.scr.org or (714) 708-5555.
Here’s a sampling of audience feedback:
- “This play was perfectly done; true to Shakespeare, totally entertaining with superb acting.”—Helen
- “The magic was awesome and the staging magnificent.”—Donald
- “The Tempest was absolutely fantastic. My highest praise. Mr. William Shakespeare would have loved it, too, I'm sure!”—Valda
- “Aaron Posner and Teller have created pure entertainment. Incredible acting, music, lighting, staging, costumes and magic—they all pull the viewer hopelessly into a beautiful story of life betrayal love forgiveness and drama. I am forever changed by this marvelous production.”—Jeff
Transformed onstage into a travelling tent show, this is The Tempest unlike anything you—or the Bard—ever envisioned. This exuberant tale takes on a new life—thanks to the haunting ballads by the inimitable Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan, the magic by Teller and the movement by Matt Kent of the dance troupe Pilobolus. The New York Times calls this production “inventive” and “freshly reimagined.”
The cast for The Tempest includes Miche Braden, Louis Butelli, Joel Davel, Nate Dendy, Dawn Didawick, Joby Earle, Zachary Eisenstat, Liz Filios, Charlotte Graham, Eric Hissom, Jonathan M. Kim, Edmund Lewis, Mike McShane, Manelich Minniefee, Tom Nelis, Christopher Rose and Matt Spencer.
In addition to Posner and Teller, the design and creative team includes Daniel Conway, scenic design; Paloma Young, costume design; Christopher Akerlind, lighting design; Charles Coes and Darron L West; sound design; Johnny Thompson, magic design; Thom Rubino, magic engineering and construction; Kenny Wollesen, instrument design and Wollesonics; and Miche Braden, music direction. The show’s production manager is Joshua Marchesi and the stage manager is Katie Ailinger. The production includes songs by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan and choreography by Matt Kent, Pilobolus.
The Tempest is generously supported by Honorary Producers Jean and Tim Weiss and Joan and Andy Fimiano. The media partner for The Tempest is 89.3 KPCC Radio. The Tempest is presented in association with the American Repertory Theater at Harvard University and The Smith Center, Las Vegas.
Tickets start at $35. Discounts are available for full-time students, patrons 25 years of age and under, fulltime educators, seniors and groups of 10 or more. For complete information, visit: www.scr.org.
Related Information for The Tempest
Tickets: May be purchased online at www.scr.org, by phone at (714) 708-5555 or by visiting the Box Office at 655 Town Center Drive in Costa Mesa. Tickets start at $35. Performances run through Sept. 28.
Performance Dates, Times:
- Special notes: There are no Monday performances.
- Evening Performances:
- Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Sept. 16 and 17; Sept. 21, 23 and 24; and Sept. 28, at 7:30 p.m.
- Thursdays-Saturdays, Sept. 18, 19 and 20; and Sept. 25, 26 and 27, at 8 p.m.(Note: No evening performance on Saturday, Sept. 13)
- NEW! Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2:30 p.m.
- Saturdays-Sundays, Sept. 20-21; and Sept. 27-28, at 2:30 p.m.
- ASL-interpreted: Saturday, Sept. 27, at 2:30 p.m.
- Post-Show Discussions: Tuesday, Sept. 16. Discuss the play with cast members of The Tempest during free post-show discussions led by South Coast Repertory’s literary team. Segerstrom Stage.
- Inside the Season: Saturday, Sept. 20, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Led by members of SCR’s literary staff, this lively two-hour session features in-depth interviews with cast members and artists from SCR's production staff, revealing secrets and offering insights into SCR’s production of The Tempest. The event includes a guided tour of the set. Segerstrom Stage. Tickets are $12 and may be purchased in advance or at the door.
Location: South Coast Repertory is located at 655 Town Center Drive in Costa Mesa, at the Bristol Street/Avenue of the Arts exit off the San Diego (405) Freeway in the David Emmes/Martin Benson Theatre Center, part of the Segerstrom Center for the Arts. Parking is available on Park Center Drive, off Anton Boulevard.
ABOUT SOUTH COAST REPERTORY: Tony Award-winning South Coast Repertory, founded in 1964 by David Emmes and Martin Benson, is widely recognized as one of the leading professional theatres in the United States. While its productions represent a balance of classic and modern theatre, SCR is renowned for its extensive new-play development program, which includes the nation’s largest commissioning program for emerging and established writers. One-quarter of SCR’s 525 productions have been world premieres. SCR-developed works have garnered two Pulitzer Prizes and eight Pulitzer nominations, several Obie Awards and scores of major new-play awards. Located in Costa Mesa, Calif., SCR is home to the 507-seat Segerstrom Stage, the 336-seat Julianne Argyros Stage and the 94-seat Nicholas Studio. www.scr.org