By Brian Robin
Prelude to … “Prelude to a Kiss, The Musical”—Fun Facts
This is the first of a series of Fun Facts concerning the centerpiece to SCR’s 60th season—the world premiere of Prelude to a Kiss, The Musical.
Did you know…
- Prelude to a Kiss, The Musical will be Craig Lucas’ seventh SCR production. It follows Reckless, Prelude to a Kiss (first written as a play without music), Marry Me a Little, Three Postcards, Blue Window and The Light in the Piazza to SCR stages.
- The original Prelude to a Kissenjoyed its world premiere at SCR in 1988. Directed by Lucas’ longtime collaborator, Norman René, it went on to Broadway, then was made into a film.
- Prelude to a Kiss was nominated for a Tony Award and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
- Prelude to a Kiss, The Musical was a featured reading at the 2019 Pacific Playwrights Festival.
- This marks SCR Artistic Director David Ivers’ third SCR production as director. He previously helmed One Man, Two Guvnors (2015) and She Loves Me (2020).
- Ivers spent five days in Chicago in early November to workshop movement with Choreographer Julia Rhoads. That’s one of numerous workshops conducted over the last five years dedicated to the music, the story and the overall play. In addition, auditions were held in New York and Los Angeles.
- Sound Designer Andrea Allmond is working on her second consecutive SCR production and third overall. She is the sound designer for the Theatre for Young Audiences and Families production of Alice’s Wonderland (running Feb. 10-25). In 2022, she designed sound for Nina Simone, Four Women.
- Put Prelude to a Kiss, The Musical on your calendar—it promises to be a must-see theatrical event.